The first time you heard the word whispered at the gym or at the doctors office you didn’t know if it was the secret code for an underground weightloss club or the newest pop group your daughter will be listening to. Either way- there was a mysterious excitement whenever someone started talking about it, and they whispered the word like it was too good to be true.
Well – it IS almost too good to be true – but now we are shouting the word. STEVIA! There we said it…
We recently released our diet line of Virgil’s sodas- Virgil’s ZERO. The sodas are as delicious as the original but with no calories and no fat. Stevia is the most natural calorie-free sweetener we have found and is calmer on your digestive system than any other chemical sweeteners, many of which contain neurotoxins which can cause serious damage over time.
History and Fun Facts:
- Stevia is an Amazonian plant that has been used for centuries for it’s “sweet leaves”.
- It was first officially discovered by the Spanish botanist Petrus Jacobus Stevus who gave the plant its name.
- In 1931, the first research on stevia was done by French botanists. They discovered that the plant was 250-300 times sweeter than table sugar.
- The Japanese, always ahead of the curve, have been using stevia as an alternative diet sweetener since the 70′s. Stevia currently makes up 40% of its sweetener market. Not just diet sweeteners but OVERALL – they use as table sugar, cooking and as a beverage sweetener.
Why it’s good for you:
- Stevia, aside from lacking in calories (think the dreaded swimsuit season that is right around the corner) has also been shown to help treat obesity and hypertension.
- Stevia is also great for diabetics, as it actually lowers the amount of glucose in your blood, even increasing glucose tolerance. This makes stevia a perfect sweetener for those with diabetes or people on carbohydrate-controlled diets.
- Also, for all you ladies (and some men too) out there, stevia is an excellent sweetener for those at risk for osteoporosis. Stevia helps raise your calcium content as well as strengthen your bones. Which means no more nasty supplements!!
- Stevia also helps ease heartburn, gas, lowers uric levels, and helps your body fight bacteria. All around, this plant is a healthful choice for anyone!
How Reed’s makes use of this nifty plant:
Reed’s has always been committed to providing you with the best tasting AND healthiest ingredients, so it was a natural choice for us to make Stevia the sweetener that we use in our delicious diet products. Whether you’re choosing a diet soda for health reasons, or just for dropping those pesky 5 pounds before you don your itty bitty bikini (or speedo, for that matter), there’s no better choice than a Virgil’s ZERO diet drink.
See you at the beach!